KUALA LUMPUR, Dec. 5 (Xinhua) -- Malaysian badminton legend Lee Chong Wei is expected to begin training in December, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) said on Wednesday.
Ng Chin Chai, general secretary of the Badminton Association of Malaysia told the press that Lee was expected to be back on court within two weeks pending advice from his doctor.
"His coach has been in communication with us. He is inclined to come back in...one or two weeks but he has to get clearance from his doctor, [to confirm] whether [or not] he can go on the court," Ng said. "Earlier [he] expressed that he wanted to start in December, so within these two weeks."
When asked if Lee had already registered for any upcoming tournaments, Ng said the 36-year-old shuttler had plans to take part in the All England Open next March.
"I have not spoken to him personally but he has mentioned that he is inclined to take part in the tournament," Ng said.
Lee was diagnosed with early stage nose cancer earlier this year and has sought treatment abroad.
He has been absent from the game after pulling out of this year's BWF World Championships and the Indonesian Asian Games due to "a respiratory related disorder" in July.
Before that, the three-time Olympic silver medalist seemed to be back in top shape this year, when he ended Kento Momota's winning streak in the Malaysian Open final and clinched his 12th Malaysia Open title.
In November, Lee held his first press conference after treatment, saying that he still aims to be at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.